Unless you have owned a generator before, it’s likely you don’t know a lot about generator battery maintenance in Houston, TX. Yet, this is an important part of battery ownership. To get the best performance and greatest longevity from your battery, you must give it proper attention.
Use the following tips for generator battery maintenance in Houston, TX to keep your power backup in top shape. For more information and expert advice, reach out to the professionals at your local battery supplier:
- Change the oil: Just like other products with engines and moving parts, most generators require regular oil changes. Check the oil level at least once each month, and change it as needed or as recommended by the manufacturer. (Yes, go ahead and read that manual!) This will keep the entire machine running more smoothly, so it puts less strain on the battery.
- Clean it: As your generator works hard to produce energy, it inevitably gets dirty. Whether exterior debris accumulates, or the interior mechanics generate dust and corrosion, the battery can become too dirty to operate optimally. Clean all connections and surfaces regularly for proper generator battery maintenance in Houston, TX.
- Replace filters: The battery itself might not have a filter, but the generator does. Replacing this filter when it gets dirty will keep air circulating properly. This, in turn, reduces the strain on the battery. The final result is a longer battery life and better generator performance.
- Charge it: If you need to store a portable generator for a long period of time, be sure to keep the battery charged while it is in storage. This will ensure your battery is ready to use when you need it.
- Run it: Again, if you have your generator and battery in storage, don’t let it sit idle the entire time. Run it at least every two to three months for about 10 minutes to keep everything running smoothly.
- Tighten terminals: In addition to cleaning the terminals regularly, it’s also important to make sure they are properly tightened. Keeping the terminals tight will provide a secure connection, so your battery operates optimally.
- Set it to auto: For home generators, it’s best to keep them in auto mode. This ensures your battery is ready to go when the generator is needed. It will automatically start up if it senses the power is necessary.
- Service it: For the best results, have your generator and battery serviced regularly by a professional. Look for an authorized dealer who specializes in generator battery maintenance in Houston, TX. This expert will keep your battery in top shape, so your generator is always ready when you need it.
Get more tips
For more information on generator battery maintenance in Houston, TX, contact the team at Texford Battery Co. Our 80-plus years in business is a testament to our unparalleled service. We are able to offer up to 10,000 of the industry’s top products to our customers at the lowest cost. Give us a call today with any questions and discover why we are the area’s go-to source for generator batteries.
Categorised in: Generator Batteries
This post was written by Writer