Eddie “Tex” Ford founded Texford Battery in 1931, on Milby Street near what today is known as the Gulf Freeway. Over the next 30 years, the company survived economic swings, fire and changes in ownership as it built a reputation as a leading battery manufacturer and supplier.
In 1966, Bob Milstead became co-owner in Texford and was instrumental in setting up a sales program contacting many of the Houston fleets and commercial accounts. Even then Brown & Root had been a customer for over 20 years, and continues today under it’s present organization KBR. Over the years, Texford manufactured both automotive and industrial batteries. However, by the early 1970s, Texford abandoned the manufacturing business to focus solely on sales and service.
In 1973, Milstead purchased co-owner Charlie McCarthy’s half of the business. Texford Battery was instrumental in the founding of Battery Marketing Corporation, a battery buying group which began with five companies and grew to nearly 100.
Today, Texford markets more than 3000 brands of battery and battery accessories to customers throughout Southeast Texas.